In a class all by itself. Thanks to a slightly different construction, DiMarzio pick-ups, and Teye’s more traditional ‘Mood’ circuitry, these guitars fall into a much more friendly price category. The ‘Pirata’ is the single-pickup guitar, and dual pickups are on the ‘Pistolero’. Availible with different front plate graphics, and grades of distress.
The first Teye signature guitar, the Rich Robinson Magpie Salute, is a Super-T, See below.
The new ‘La Pirata™’
The new ‘El Pistolero™’ with distressed front plate
A ‘Pistolero™’ with inverted distressed plate:
A special edition ‘Hippie’ ‘La Pirata™’:
And the Hippie ‘Pistolero™’:
1. Rich Robinson signature ‘Magpie Salute’
The 2-pickup Pistolero version:
Here Rich’s own, with optional Lollar pickups
Rich’s new band is named ‘Magpie Salute’ and here’s a quote to explain:
The name The Magpie Salute comes from a superstition based in the UK… There are many variations, but the version I’m drawn to is the belief that if you see a Magpie, you would do well to salute it ‘to ward off negativity, or to have a good day.’ The way you salute the Magpie, based on some traditions is to say ‘Good Mornin’ Captain.’ The reason we salute is to show we’re unarmed, or what I like to say is ‘we come in peace.’ The Magpie falls within the Crowe umbrella of species, figuratively and literally. Magpies can be black and white which represents the light and the dark. I figured all of these things touch on many aspects of my life and this experience. (R Robinson)
The Pistolero received a Guitar Player Magazine Editor’s Pick award!
Teye demoes the La Pirata:
and the Pistolero:
and the Pistolero for slide-guitar:
Specs Standard version:
- Body wood: select Mahogany, 3-piece (an old trick Tony Zemaitis showed me)
- Neck wood: select Mahogany
- Fingerboard: bound Ebony with the Teye-inlay
- Scale length: 25.5”
- Nut width: 1.75”
- Aluminum plates: Screen Printed – distressed acid-etched plates are optional: add $ 400
- Bridge: proprietary Teye SuperSustain-bridge
- Tailpiece: proprietary Teye SuperSustain-tailpiece
- Tuners: Grover Super Rotomatic Imperials
- Pick-ups: 2x Custom-wound DiMarzios (1 on the Pirata)
- Electronics: 2x Volume (1 on the Pirata) Master Tone; Master Mood™
- Control knobs: proprietary Teye knobs and switch tip
- Finish: reddish-brown or brown hand-rubbed Luthier’s oil finish (customizable Shipwreck $ 450 extra)
- Case: gig bag; hard case available as option
- See more options HERE
There will also be a DeLuxe version of these guitars that will feature Lollar pick-ups, the MOJO control, and Shipwreck® as standard.
*Pictured below is an old-style Pirata that Teye made for himself in mid-2013, to which he added a resonance chamber that sounded remarkably well.
The new Pirata and the Pistolero have this same extended resonance chamber which makes the sound more alive and adds low end.